||300s: Governance and Organization
November 17, 2005
||310.1 Board President and Member Responsibilities
- The State Board of Higher Education President has no authority to make decisions or to establish policy on behalf of the Board except as specifically delegated the authority to do so by the Board. The Board delegates the following authority to its President and, in the President's absence, to its Vice President.
- The President (or the Chancellor, pursuant to the authority provided to the Chancellor in SBHE Policy 304.1) shall be the spokesperson of and represent the Board by explaining, defending, advocating or announcing Board-stated positions.
- As elected leader of the Board, the President has the ultimate responsibility for assuring the beliefs and core values adopted by the Board are known to all Board members and that the Board strives to uphold these values at all times.
- The President shall be responsible for efficient operation of the Board including a Board established planning and action cycle.
- The President shall ensure that new Board members are informed of their responsibilities and oriented to the Board's operations. The President, with the Chancellor's assistance, shall arrange for an orientation program after a new member is appointed. The new member orientation program shall include opportunities for new members to become familiar with NDUS campuses and programs, such as campus tours or other events scheduled in conjunction with Board meetings, new member visits to campuses, an on-line "tour" or other suitable means.
- The President shall chair Board meetings by exercising all commonly accepted responsibilities of that position.
- The President may call special meetings of the Board pursuant to the provisions of the Board's bylaws.
- The President shall communicate directly and consult with other Board members and the Chancellor as frequently as necessary and consistent with applicable open meetings and open records laws, to assure the Board members and the Chancellor are kept informed on issues relevant to the Board's duties and responsibilities.
- The President may appoint ad hoc committees to advise the Board.
- Board Member Responsibilities include:
- A member shall be a link between the State Board of Higher Education and the public which it serves.
- A Board member shall at all times conform to and advocate the Board's beliefs and core values.
- A member shall help build and sustain an atmosphere of respect, openness, civility and partnerships in all relationships with fellow Board members, the Chancellor and System staff, and the presidents, faculty and staff of each institution of higher education in North Dakota.
- A member shall, through service on the State Board of Higher Education, acquire a reasonable level of knowledge of:
- the mission of each institution of higher education in the North Dakota University System and how the institution, through its administration and faculty, plans to achieve its mission;
- the traditional organization and governance structure of an associate, baccalaureate, and graduate degree-granting institution of higher education;
- the relationship of North Dakota University System institutions with other institutions of higher learning and other educational systems within North Dakota;
- the competitive position of North Dakota University System institutions in the regional and national marketplace;
- the provisions of state law governing the Board and its activities;
- the internal and external forces which affect the environment in which higher education and the North Dakota University System operate; and
- the structural relationship among the Governor, the legislature, the Chancellor, the System office, the North Dakota University System institutions and the Board.
- A member shall be an advocate of quality, efficient, and effective higher education in North Dakota by:
- assisting in the development and ongoing review of a clear and concise Board strategic plan, including the goals and objectives, for the North Dakota University System;
- assisting in establishing appropriate measures to monitor and assess achievement of the goals;
- assisting in evaluating Board performance, and the performance of the Chancellor;
- participating responsibly in board meetings;
- devoting the time necessary to carry a fair share of Board leadership responsibility;
- assisting in establishing effective policies of governance; and
- taking part in reasonable amounts of professional development.
- A member shall represent the people of North Dakota and be an advocate for the North Dakota University System without special regard to a particular institution, interest, political affiliation, community, or constituency.
New Policy. See SBHE Minutes, June 19, 1997 page 6778.
Amendment SBHE Minutes, November 18-19, 1999.
Amendment SBHE Minutes, April 15, 2004.
Amendment SBHE Minutes, November 17, 2005.