28 Mar UND’s Time Out Week and Wacipi Powwow set for April 9-13
UND’s annual Time Out Week and Wacipi Powwow are set for April 9-13.
Organized by the UND Indian Studies Association, the week is an opportunity for everyone to take a moment to learn about Native American culture. This year’s theme is Identity focusing on health (food), wellness, art and fashion.
All events are free except for the Sioux Chef Demonstrations, which is the price of Wilkerson’s Dining Center fee entrance ($13).
Tuesday, April 9
• 6 p.m. – AISES Family Science Night, UND Memorial Union, 2nd floor, Ballroom
Wednesday, April 10
• 10 a.m. – Opening Ceremony Prayer, Honor Song | Welcome, Memorial Union Ballroom
• 11 a.m. – Presentation by Flint Devine, “Two Spirit Identity & Healing through Artwork, Memorial Union Ballroom
• Noon – Presentation by Wendelin Hume, “Anishinaabe: Seven Lessons for Living a Good Life,” Memorial Union Ballroom
• 1 p.m. – Presentation by Chad Dahlen, “Intergenerational Perspectives on Leadership by Men of the Three Affiliated Tribes,” Memorial Union Ballroom
• 1 p.m. – Presentation by Jeff Widner, “Shared Family Care, Memorial Union Ballroom
• 3 p.m. – Community Gathering, #MMIW Awareness Walk by Society of Indian Psychologists, Memorial Union Ballroom. Approximately 1-2 mile walk.
• 6 p.m. – Demonstration by Brian Yazzie, the Sioux Chef | Chef de Cuisine, UND Wilkerson Dining Chef’s Table (far north tables)
• 8 p.m. Fitness Class – N8V Dance Fitness by Michelle Reed, Memorial Union, Swanson Hall, Room 10 & 12 (tunnel connecting Union and Swanson)
Thursday, April 11
10 a.m. – 4 p.m. – Art Exhibit: Indigenous Art Work, Memorial Union Ballroom
• 10 a.m. – Presentation by Bobbi Lynn Frederick, artist, Memorial Union Ballroom
• 11:30 a.m. – 1 p.m. Demonstration Powwow Dance Categories, Memorial Union, First Floor Marketplace
• 1 p.m. – Presentation by Athena Funk, “Tattooing as an Art Form,” Memorial Union Ballroom
• 1 p.m. – UND School of Law Distinguished Indian Law Speaker, Chairman Mark Fox, Three Affiliated Mandan Hidatsa Arikara Nation, School of Law (Room TBD)
• 2:30 – 5:30 p.m. – Community Workshop with Michelle Reed, Beading Medallion Session, Memorial Union River Valley Room
• 6 p.m. – Fashion Show with Jessica Metcalfe, “Beyond Buckskin,” Memorial Union Ballroom
Friday, April 12
• 9 a.m. – Performance Dream Warriors with Mic Jordan, Lyla June, Tall Paul, Tanaya Winder, Memorial Union Ballroom
• 10:30 a.m. – UND American Indian Resource Fair, Memorial Union Ballroom
• 1 p.m. – Presentation by Miss Indian World Taylor Susan, Memorial Union Ballroom
• 4 p.m. – Hand Games Tournament, Memorial Union Ballroom
• 6 p.m. – Community Gathering, Terry St. John Memorial Round Dance by family and friends of Terry St. John & UNDIA/ISA, Hyslop Sports Center
Saturday, April 13
• 1 p.m. – UND Indian Association Wacipi Powwow, Grand Entry #1, Hyslop Sports Center
• 7 p.m. Grand Entry #2, Hyslop Sports Center
University of North Dakota