Voting Information

The North Dakota Secretary of State has all the voting information you need! Use these links to access the most up-to-date information for the November 6, 2018 election.


Click here for a one-page information sheet for college student voters

Click here for general election/voting information

Click here for North Dakota absentee ballot information



Voting in North Dakota

According to the North Dakota Secretary of State, you may vote in North Dakota as a college student if you are:

  • A citizen of the United States;
  • Eighteen years or older on the day of election;
  • A resident of North Dakota; and
  • A resident who has resided in the precinct at least thirty days immediately preceding any election; and
  • Able to provide a valid form of identification such as a North Dakota driver’s license, non-driver ID, or tribal ID that includes your current residential address and date of birth;. If an individual’s valid form of identification does not include all the information required in 16.1-01-04.1(2) of the North Dakota Century Code, or the information is not current, the identification must be supplemented by presenting any of the documents as outlined in section 16.1-01-04.1(3)(b) of the North Dakota Century Code.


Those documents are:

  • A current utility bill in your name with your current address;
  • A current bank statement in your name with your current address;
  • A check issued by a federal, state, or local government;
  • A paycheck; or
  • A document issued by a federal, state, or local government


This means – if a student is a resident of North Dakota and has adequate proof of residency (such as a utility bill, etc.), but the student holds an out of state identification that has not yet been updated, or an in-state identification that holds an invalid address, the student can use that identification, along with a supplemental document, to vote in North Dakota.
To view information on identification requirements for voters, please click here.



Absentee Voting

If a student chooses to vote in their home district or home state, and the student will not travel to that precinct on election day to cast a ballot, the student will need to request an absentee ballot prior to the election.


For North Dakota absentee ballot information, click here.


For absentee ballot information for a different state, please click here to access information from the National Association of Secretaries of State or check with your home state’s election officials. Depending on your home state, your residency eligibility might change when you attend college out of state. Please do your own research in advance to election day!


Updated June 2018