Military, Veterans & Families

MSU Student in front of Old Main

North Dakota is home to Army and Air National Guard units and two U.S. Air Force bases, which means University System faculty and staff have experience working with active-duty military personnel, Guard members, veterans and their dependents.

Many University System campuses award students credit toward degrees based on their military training, coursework and occupational specialties.

Most University System campuses are Servicemembers Opportunity Colleges. SOC campuses work with 1,900 other campuses, 15 higher education associations, the U.S. Department of Defense and active and reserve military organizations to provide education opportunities for servicemembers worldwide.




GI Bill

The Post-9/11 GI Bill provides financial support for education and housing to individuals who have at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after Sept. 11, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after serving 30 continuous days.

Approved training under the Post-9/11 GI Bill includes undergraduate and graduate degrees and vocational/technical training offered by approved institutions of higher learning.

Based on the length of active duty service, eligible participants are entitled to receive a percentage of the following:

  • Cost of tuition and fees
  • Monthly housing allowance
  • Yearly books and supplies stipend of up to $1,000 per year
  • One-time payment of $500 paid to certain individuals relocating from highly rural areas.

As of Aug. 1, 2009, service members eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill program may transfer unused educational benefits to their spouses or children.

To learn more about federal educational benefits for you and your family, visit the GI Bill website or call
1-888-442-4551 toll free, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. To speak with an education case manager, call during normal business hours Monday through Friday. 




Army National Guard Benefits

The day you join the Army National Guard you become eligible for tuition assistance, even if you’re still in high school. Tuition assistance may be used in addition to the Montgomery G.I. Bill, Army National Guard G.I. Bill Kicker, Active Duty Montgomery G.I. Bill and Pell Grants.

For more information, visit the North Dakota National Guard website.




Dependents’ Educational Assistance

Dependents’ Educational Assistance provides education and training opportunities to eligible sons, daughters or spouses of:

  • Veterans who died or are permanently and totally disabled as the result out of active service in the Armed Forces
  • Veterans who died while a service-connected disability was in existence
  • Servicemembers who are missing in action or captured in line of duty by a hostile force
  • Servicemembers forcibly detained or interned by a foreign government or power
  • Servicemembers who are hospitalized or receive outpatient treatment for a service-connected permanent and total disability and are likely to be discharged for that disability

This federal program offers dependents up to 45 months of education benefits. For more information, visit the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs website.




Free Tuition for North Dakota Dependents

If you are the dependent of a North Dakota veteran who was killed, totally disabled or declared missing in action, you may attend a University System institution without paying tuition or fees for up to 45 months.

To be eligible, you first must be accepted for enrollment by a University System campus. General information on this program can be found on the North Dakota Veterans Affairs website. For detailed information, contact the financial aid office or veterans services department on the campus of your choice.




VA Certifying Officials

Certifying officials are campus representatives authorized to sign and submit forms to the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs on behalf of veterans, active-duty servicemembers, National Guard members and their dependents. Certifying officials verify enrollment, document changes in status and report circumstances affecting benefits.

Please use this Department of Veteran’s Affairs link to identify your campus certifying official.

For additional assistance or information, contact the Fargo ND Department of Veteran Affairs Office with questions at (701) 239-7165, State Approving Agency.