Pre-College Credits

A great way to get a head start on your college education is to take college courses while you’re still in high school. Academic credits can also be earned for non-collegiate learning experiences.

College Credit in High School

North Dakota high school students who are enrolled in ten, eleven, or twelve grades can take a college-level course and receive credit at an NDUS institution towards a college degree and may be used to meet high school graduation requirements. Tuition, fees, books and other costs are the student’s responsibility.


The NDUS institutions offer courses either face to face in the classroom, online or Interactive Video Network. A full list of institutions, courses, delivery method, instructor, etc. can be found at the links below:

Students are encouraged to visit with their high school counselor and teachers to determine their academic readiness. Students will need to obtain permission form school district superintendent. Students must meet the same academic criteria as those enrolled in college-level courses, including taking appropriate placement testing.


After a student has completed a college-level course with an NDUS institution, it is simple to enroll as a full-time student with that institution. If you decide to transfer, most general education courses are transferrable.


Annually, early college coursework participating rates are publicly available online at

Non-Collegiate Learning Experiences

You can receive academic credit for non-collegiate learning experiences – including military and other work experience – by participating in these credit-by-exam programs: 

  • Advanced Placement (AP)
  • College Level Examination Program (CLEP)
  • International Baccalaureate (IB)
  • DANTES Subject Standardized Tests (DSST)
  • Cambridge International (CI)


To view NDUS minimum scores, credits granted and equivalent courses, click below.

Credit-By-Exam Chart