17 May Governor signs bill expanding Bismarck State College health sciences
“It was obvious to me that this project is important for North Dakota’s workforce,” said Bismarck Rep. Bob Martinson, “and I’m delighted that my Legislative colleagues and Governor Burgum agreed.”
“We are so grateful to the North Dakota Legislature and Governor Burgum for their support of our programs and the students who are called to this vital field,” says Larry C. Skogen, BSC president.
Moving the programs to an existing facility owned by the BSC Foundation adjacent to BSC’s main campus will bring health science programs together in a space that can accommodate more students, complete with state-of-the-art-technology and equipment.
A virtual hospital will be created in the facility to allow innovation and collaboration among the programs, providing more training opportunities in Nursing, Surgical Technology, EMT/Paramedic Technology, Medical Lab Technician (MLT), and Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) programs.
Currently, nursing, surgical technology, CNA and paramedic technology are housed in a facility in downtown Bismarck. The programs have outgrown the off-campus space, and the building lease expires in the Summer of 2019.
According to a June 2018 report from Job Service North Dakota, nearly 2,000 healthcare related jobs are open in North Dakota, and the state will see a 24% increase in need for registered nurses by 2024.
“Thanks to this support, we can help fill this demand more quickly now as we expand all our programs,” says Carla Hixson, Dean of Current and Emerging Technology at BSC.
- Expand space to allow for labs, classrooms, and future program growth
- Increase student enrollment in Health Science programs and support scholarships
- Integrate state-of-the-art equipment and technology
- Provide students with direct access to campus support services and activities
- Relocate all Health Science programs to the BSC campus to increase efficiency
- Incorporate five simulation rooms to create life patient experiences
To learn more about BSC’s Health Sciences programs visit bismarckstate.edu/academics.