NDSU senior earns national scholarship

NDSU senior earns national scholarship

NDSU senior Laura Jennen, a hospitality and tourism management major, has been selected for the prestigious National Association of College and University Food Services’ Clark E. DeHaven Scholarship for 2019. Only three awards were presented this year across the country.

The $5,000 award is a highly competitive scholarship for students who want to pursue a career in food service.

“Being awarded the Clark E. DeHaven scholarship is such an honor to me, and I am so excited to continue my education in food service,” said Jennen, who is from Fergus Falls, Minnesota. “I am so grateful to my professors and NDSU for giving me the opportunity to apply for the award and encouraging my want to go into a career in food service. I am excited to receive the award and continue seeing the joy on my guests faces when I present their meals.”

Jennen is the NDSU Hospitality Student Association secretary/treasurer, serving her second term this coming academic year. She is now in Florida doing an internship for ResortQuest By Wyndham Vacation Rentals.

The selection committee considers academic and employer references, academic standing and commitment to the academic program. The selection parameters include commitment to a career in foodservice, merit, progress toward degree, character, campus citizenship and involvement, volunteer activities and financial need.

“Only students who are in an accredited program from NACUFS-member universities are eligible to apply,” said Amelia Estepa Asperin, associate professor and program coordinator of hospitality and tourism management. “The selection is rigorous and multiple factors were considered. Laura is only the second NDSU student to receive this award – the first was Kristi Martin in 1999.”

As a student-focused, land grant, research university, we serve our citizens.