09 Aug UND set to hit the road with new faculty and administrators on 2019 North Dakota Bus Tour
Stops across the state touch industry, education and nature as UND welcomes newcomers
Who: UND’s new faculty and administrators, led by Interim President Joshua Wynne
What: 2019 UND Bus Tour
Where: Grafton, Devils Lake, Minot, Velva, New Town, Watford City, Tioga, Rugby and Lakota
When: Monday through Wednesday, August 19-21
GRAND FORKS, N.D. – It’s that time of year when the University of North Dakota strikes a familiar tune, from Grand Forks to Watford City and back again.
August 19-21, UND will be “On the Road Again” as Interim President Joshua Wynne leads new faculty and administrators across the state of North Dakota. Each year, since 1990, UND’s newcomers board the bus to see the Peace Garden State firsthand.
Stops on this year’s tour dot U.S. Highway 2 westward to the North Unit of Theodore Roosevelt National Park. The UND contingency will have stops in Grafton, Devils Lake, Minot, Velva, New Town, Watford City, Tioga, Rugby and Lakota before returning to Grand Forks Wednesday evening.
The tour is known for its diverse perspectives on North Dakota culture, from industry to nature. Walkthroughs of the Marvin Windows plant in Grafton and Leading Edge Equipment in Devils Lake start the trip on Monday, while Tuesday is a tour of the Three Affiliated Tribes Museum in New Town and a drive through the tips of the North Dakota Badlands.
Along the way, the newest members of UND’s family will meet fellow educators, alumni and incoming students – further highlighting the statewide impacts of North Dakota’s flagship institution.
Bus Tour Highlights:
Monday, August 19
- 8:15 a.m. – Marvin Windows tour, Grafton
- 11:00 a.m. – Leading Edge Equipment tour, Devils Lake
- 3:00 p.m. – Scandinavian Heritage Park tour, Minot
- 5:30 p.m. – Tour and dinner at Black Butte Acres, near Velva
Tuesday, August 20
- 8:45 a.m. – Three Affiliated Tribes Museum and Earth Lodge Village tour, New Town
- 11:15 a.m. – Driving tour of Watford City with Daniel Stenberg of McKenzie County Economic Development
- 12:00 p.m. – Lunch with UND Alumni, Watford City Hospital
- 1:30 p.m. – Tour of Theodore Roosevelt National Park, North Unit
- 6:00 p.m. – Campus tour and dinner at Minot State University with Steve Shirley, MSU President
Wednesday, August 21
- 7:30 a.m. – Breakfast with incoming UND Presidential Scholars and their parents, Minot Country Club
- 10:30 p.m. – Neset Consulting tour and energy briefing with Kathy Neset, Tioga
- 2:45 p.m. – Travel break at Rockin’ Relics, Rugby
- 5:30 p.m. – Community reception and supper at Lakota Library, Lakota
- 8:30 p.m. – Arrive in Grand Forks/UND
David L. Dodds
Director of Communications
Division of Marketing & Communications
University of North Dakota