06 Nov ‘Sweeney Todd’ plays Nov. 14-16 and 21-21 at UND’s Burtness Theatre
The University of North Dakota Department of Theatre Arts presents Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street, Nov. 14-16 and 21-23 at 7:30 p.m. nightly, Burtness Theatre.
With music and lyrics by Stephen Sondheim and book by Hugh Wheeler, the infamous tale comes to life on the Burtness Theatre stage.
Sweeney Todd, an unjustly exiled barber, returns to 19th century London seeking vengeance against the lecherous judge who framed him and ravaged his young wife. The road to revenge leads Todd to Mrs. Lovett, a resourceful proprietress of a failing pie shop, above which he opens a new barber practice. Mrs. Lovett’s luck sharply shifts when Todd’s thirst for blood inspires the integration of an ingredient into her meat pies that has the people of London lining up… and the carnage has only just begun!
The show features a guest director, Egla Birmingham Hassan, an accomplished director and professor of theatre whose 32-year career at Western Illinois University includes heading the MFA program in directing, and helping young theatre artists to find their own voice.
Hassan is now retired from teaching and is a freelance director who still looks for opportunities to tell stories that gives audiences a look at our world, and sometimes, a mandate (or a suggestion) to make it better.
Tickets are $25 for general admission and $13 for students with ID. Contact the box office at burtness.und.edu, or Burtness Theatre Lobby 3-6 p.m. daily and 3-7:30 p.m. day of show, (701)777-2587
You can also purchase a “Season Series” and enjoy all shows at a discounted rate.
- Director: Egla Hassan (Guest Artist)
- Scenic and Lighting Design: Brad Reissig
- Costume Design: Camilla Morrison
- Sound Design: Tyler Smith
- Technical Director: Ree Seminole
- Sweeney Todd: Tanner Sabol
- Mrs. Lovett: Katie Germain
- Anthony: Robert Cooper
- Johanna: Erin Chaves
- Tobias: Kyle Mason
- Pirelli: Gina Uhlir
- Judge Turpin: Cole Bakke
- Beadle: Chris Schilling
- Chorus: Daniel Jung, Tyler Hebert, Dylan Merrit, Tanner Hostetter, Xana Small, Otto Lieder, Piper Sommer, Trece Hopp, Amy Driscoll, Grant Maychrzak, Matt Stavens, Sarah Suchoski, Emily Cherry
- Stage Manager: Elise Christy
- Asst. Stage Mgr: Xana Small
- Properties: Zoë Ramsay
- Asst Properties: Lauren Nelson, Cassandra Taggert
- Costume Shop Mgr: Amy Sanner
- Costume Shop Assts: Shelby Hazel, Carolyn Kelly, Destiny Koskela, Meghan McNeil,
- Wardrobe Supervisor: Shelby Hazel
- Dresser: Dominick Alcantar-Sanchez, Mariah Herring, Kyla Pearson, Otis Weah
- Scenic Painter: Kristina Swendseid
- Scene Shop Assts: Christian Chederquist, Autumn Horton, Cassandra Taggert
- Stagehands: Keenen Berning, Dyaln LaFerriere, Alexis Loomer, Harris Maclean, Nolan Thompson, Thomas Watt
- Master Electrician: Autumn Horton
- Lighting Crew: Mohammed Boukhsheem, Skylar Bright, Madi Gilbertson, Rudy Juarez, Adam King, Cole Labatt, Luke Loring, Magdalena Mills, Preston Roumbanis, Lauren Schoenfelder, Alex Tangren, Macie Weiner
- Light Board Operator: Gabriel Curnitt
- Sound Board Operator: Ryan Babbit
- House Mgr: Randi O’Hotto
- Publicity Design: Brad Reissig
Associate Chair of Theatre Arts
University of North Dakota
David L. Dodds
Director of Communications
Division of Marketing & Communications
University of North Dakota