24 Jul WSC Opening Day – August 24th
WILLISTON, N.D. – The following is an update from Williston State College president, Dr. John Miller, on WSC’s response to the coronavirus (COVID-19):
Dear Campus Community:
In support of and following recommendations for North Dakota’s “smart restart” return to general operations, WSC administration, faculty and staff have been working over the past two months to complete a “COVID-19 Restart Plan to manage preparation of campus and to guide operations for the beginning of the fall 2020 semester. More information will be provided in the coming weeks as we approach the August 24th opening date.
Our return to school plan, which will be published on July 27th, is based on the following priorities for managing COVID-19 and returning to face-to-face operations at WSC.
- To ensure all measures are taken to maintain the health and safety of all students, faculty, staff, and stakeholders.
- To provide all students the highest quality education and support as they prepare for the fall 2020 semester.
- To clean and sanitize all educational, office, common, and living spaces using emerging technology and best practices for custodians and maintenance personnel.
- To respect the safety and welfare of students, faculty, and staff by identifying those individuals with preexisting conditions and/or members of “at-risk” populations to COVID-19 and providing them, to the best of our ability, with a safe working and learning environment.
- To support efforts of the North Dakota University System, the State Board of Higher Education, the Governor, and all North Dakota local and state agencies as they responded to unprecedented medical and logistical challenges created by this global medical crisis.
We remain committed to resuming on-campus educational delivery and activities for fall 2020 starting August 24th. As we work to minimize the transmission of COVID-19 moving forward, we also work to reaffirm the college’s core missions of teaching, learning, and educational opportunities. Here is what to expect during the WSC restart:
- A face-to-face registration event is scheduled for August 6th on the campus of WSC. If you have not registered for fall classes yet, this will be a great opportunity to get some advising, register for fall classes, and talk to us about financial aid, food service, books, and upcoming activities. Contact us to sign up!
- Dormitory move in activities are scheduled for the week of August 17-21.
- The Teton Bookstore and the Teton Grill will be open and ready to serve students as they move in and prepare for the start of the fall semester.
- The “live” opening of school and beginning of fall classes on August 24.
- Week of Welcome activities for all students the week of August 24-28.
- The first practice sessions for all our athletics teams.
To keep all Tetons healthy and strong, we ask that all students, faculty, staff, and visitors adhere to the following safety guidelines:
- WSC will require face coverings in all classrooms, common areas, gatherings, and office spaces, except where social distancing (separation of 6 feet or more) is possible.
- Self-monitor for COVID symptoms and do not come to campus if you have any of the identified COVID-19 symptoms or are feeling ill.
- Practice social distancing, both on and off campus.
- Schedule campus appointments and visits in advance whenever possible.
- When social distancing is not possible, we require you wear a face covering.
- Maintain good hand hygiene. Wash your hands often and use hand sanitizer available in campus locations.
- Respect others! When you come to campus it is your job to look after your own health, as well as the health of others.
As always, I thank you for your continuing patience and cooperation. The Teton Community is strong and resilient, and I know we will all make it through this time together.
Be smart, be safe, and stay healthy!
John Miller, Ed.D.
Williston State College