The North Dakota University System (NDUS) is pleased to offer health insurance coverage to NDUS students through United Healthcare insurance company. Domestic students (i.e. American citizens) are not required by the NDUS to carry this coverage, and we know many of you may be covered by your parents’ insurance until age 26. However, the Affordable Care Act does require that you carry some sort of health insurance, and this plan is an option.
The NDUS requires all international students to have health insurance in place and verified (see Policy 505) but in some cases, an international student is able to secure a waiver from the NDUS health insurance plan. To learn more about the waiver criteria and process, please click here.
Domestic students must enroll on their own at the United Healthcare Website: www.UHCSR.com/NDUS
Premiums must be paid at the time of enrollment. For the 2018-2019 Annual Plan and the 2018 Fall Plan, students must enroll by September 14, 2018.
International students are automatically enrolled by semester in the student health insurance plan by their institution. A student may opt-in to NDUS health insurance coverage prior to automatic enrollment to expedite confirmation of coverage. The premium cost is billed to the international student’s campus connection account. If an international student wants to waive this health insurance coverage, comparable coverage must be in place and verified through the waiver process. Click here to learn more. Waiver application deadline is Wednesday, January 16, 2019.
All full-time undergraduate and graduate students, actively taking classes on campus, are eligible to enroll. “Full-time” is defined as:
- Undergraduate students enrolled in 12 or more credit hours each semester
- Graduate students enrolled in:
- 9 credits each fall and spring term, or
- UND student enrolled in 6 credits and a 20-hour per week graduate assistantship each fall and spring term, or
- NDSU student enrolled in 5 credits and a 20-hour per week graduate assistantship each fall and spring term, or
- NDSU or UND student whose Certification Enrollment Status, approved by the Graduate School, confirms the student’s full time status
- Additionally, eligible students who enroll may insure their dependents as well. Eligible dependents are the student’s legal spouse/domestic partner and dependent children under 26 years of age. The student must be enrolled in order to access an enrollment opportunity for dependents
- Students eligible for this insurance plan must be actively attending class in person. Students that are primarily enrolled in online courses, home study programs, or correspondence courses do not fulfill the eligibility requirements.
- This list is not exhaustive; each applicant must review the insurance policy information and base eligibility determinations upon that review. If a student is found to be ineligible for the policy, United Healthcare will remove the student from the policy. If you have questions if you are eligible or not, please contact Katie Fitzsimmons at the NDUS Office.
- If you have questions about the Spring/Summer 2019 coverage, please refer to your Campus Contacts.
Plan Coverage Periods and Premiums
To add a spouse and/or dependent, the rate and coverage periods are the same as the student rate.
Domestic Undergraduate Students
Annual (August 16, 2018-August 15, 2019): $3,132.00
Fall (August 16, 2018-December 31, 2018): $1,184.00
Spring/Summer (January 1, 2019-August 15, 2019): $1,948.00
Domestic Graduate Students
Annual (August 16, 2018-August 15, 2019): $4350.00
Fall (August 16, 2018-December 31, 2018): $1,645.00
Spring/Summer (January 1, 2019-August 15, 2019): $2,705.00
Annual (August 16, 2018-August 15, 2019): $1978.00
Fall (August 16, 2018 – December 31, 2018): $748.00
Spring/Summer (January 1, 2019-August 15, 2019): $1,230.00
Campus Contacts for Student Health Insurance Plan
Bismarck State College
Dakota College at Bottineau
Larry Brooks – Domestic
Heidi Hauf – International
Dickinson State University
Lake Region State College
Kristi Kienast Hernandez
Mayville State University
Minot State University
North Dakota State College of Science
North Dakota State University
Sara Johnson – International
University of North Dakota
Maureen Potucek – Domestic
Amy Senger – International
Valley City State University
Williston State College
For general inquiries:
North Dakota University System Office