North Dakota State Student Incentive Grant Program
Also known as the State Grant Program, this program provides a non-repayable grant to North Dakota residents who are first-time undergraduate students and who attend qualifying North Dakota public, private or tribal colleges. Students must be pursuing an eligible program at a qualifying North Dakota institution, and must be enrolled at least quarter-time.
State Grant amount:
North Dakota State Grant awards up to $975 per semester or $650 per quarter, based on enrollment status. Students may reapply each year by completing a Free Application for Federal Student Aid. Eligibility is limited to eight semesters or twelve quarters of full-time equivalent undergraduate enrollment, or the attainment of a baccalaureate degree, whichever comes first.
Who is eligible:
North Dakota resident applicants must have:
- Graduated from a high school in this state (ensure your high school name, city and state is listed on your FAFSA);
- Graduated from a high school in a bordering state pursuant to N.D.C.C. ch. 15.1-29; (contact the NDUS at firstname.lastname@example.org to inquire on eligibility);
- Graduated from a nonpublic high school in a bordering state while residing with a custodial parent in this state (contact the NDUS at email@example.com to inquire on eligibility);
- Completed a program of home education supervised in accordance with N.D.C.C. ch. 15.1-23 (send your final high school transcript showing your high school courses taken to the NDUS);
- Received a general educational development high school diploma (GED) from the North Dakota Superintendent of Public Instruction (send your final earned GED certificate to the NDUS).
Applicants who, because of a medically certifiable disability, may enroll at an accredited institution of higher education outside of North Dakota which offers the individual special services or facilities not available in this state, provided the institution offers a program of instruction equal to at least two academic years.
Where to mail supporting documentation:
600 E. Boulevard Ave., Dept. 21
Bismarck ND 58505-0602
North Dakota Scholarships:
- ND Academic Scholarship
- ND Career & Technical Education Scholarship
- ND Indian Scholarship
- ND Scholars Program
Tuition and Fee Waivers:
North Dakota University System colleges and universities have the authority to reduce tuition and fees for certain groups.
Amount: Partial to full reductions in tuition and fees are available.
Who is eligible:
- Law Enforcement Officers
- National Guard Members
- Surviving dependents of North Dakota military veterans, National Guard members, firefighters, emergency medical service personnel, and peace officers who died as a result of injuries received in the line of duty
- Senior citizens
- North Dakota University System employees and spouses or dependents of system employees.
Campuses also may offer tuition and fee reductions to create culturally and economically diverse student bodies, to attract graduate students and researchers, and for other purposes consistent with each institution’s mission.
How to apply: Contact the North Dakota University System campus you plan to attend to determine if you are eligible.
North Dakota Loan Forgiveness Programs: